Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Mirror Mirror On the Wall


Done with Harry Potter series for the fourth time now. Feeling quite empty. Happens every time! Have to wait for one whole year (at least six months) to read them again. I wonder how many times will I read them. Even when I have grandchildren? Probably. These books are magical! I was 11 when I read Philosopher's Stone, and was hooked! Was very fascinating, wished I would get a letter from Hogwarts. However, no scars or Voldemort for me please!


It's kind of same with Enid Blyton's Malory towers, St. Clare, Naughtiest girl and Faraway tree... No matter how many I read them , don't get enough of it (haven't read them for about 2 years, though). You do miss the things you grew up with!

I wish HP series hadn't ended, JK Rowling could have continued it like any Star Plus soap operas, couldn't she? (but those dramas are sooo..!! Dunno how people watch Star Plus, i can't =/).

Anyway.

Was wandering when I stumbled upon some site on superstitions (hey, I don't believe number 13 is unlucky, or black cats)... There were few on mirrors (I mean On MIRRORS?!) which are sort of interesting...

*If a couple's first sight of each other is their reflections in a mirror they will have a happy marriage

*Vampires and witches show no reflection in mirrors because they have no souls. (BUT Edward Cullen could see it, right?! And HE is The Vampire =]. Oh and so could Sabrina the Witch)

* Some cultures believe that a baby who looks into a mirror during the first year of its life will die.

* If a mirror falls from a wall it means someone is going to die.

* Ancient Chinese believed that mirrors frighten away evil spirits who get scared when they see themselves; and if the mirror was broken the protection was lost.

* It's considered bad luck to see your face in a mirror when sitting by candlelight. In your youth did you look at your faces in a mirror with a torch shining below your chin? That was a scary sight!

* Want to see what your future husband looks like? Sit down in front of a mirror and eat an apple before brushing your hair at midnight. An image of a man will appear behind your shoulder!

I was actually thinking of doing it!!! I mean 'me'! When i realized it was day time.. And there were no apples in the home. Felt quite foolish then.
Okay okay, should go offline now. Exams on head *sniffs* but am not going to study like NOW! Will read "This Charming Man" by Marian Keyes.. its fun! ^^

Cya!

10 Ink Drops:

Sarah said...

OMG Love Malory Towers! I'm 28 and still read them again!

Harry Potter books are again amazing, still enjoy the first book the most. Can always remember imagining when I was reading it what going to Hogwarts would have been like.

As for superstitions don't read too much about them, otherwise you'll be scared of things happening.

"Whatever will be, will be"

Ashu said...

definitely waiting for the rest of you on this post..
gr8 way of attracting the audience
keep up the gud work

Sidrah said...

@Sarah

Maybe i will read Malory Towers once again =D
You're right about superstitions, shouldn't believe in them.. Or will go nuts

@Ashu
Hey.. thnxx ^^

NeoDharmar said...

Nice compilation of superstitions. I've come come across two or three of those previously. One of those, that the protection is lost when it's broken is actually a part of the story in Room No. 205, a Danish film I bleev..

Since you wrote abt Superstitions, let me tell you that I don't believe in all of them either. Its more of a Necessary Evil. Hope Malory Towers Story continues yet again!

Nice post.. Keep blogging!

Hafsah said...

U hv to lend me the rest of the novels u r talking abt :)
N abt harry potter, ofcourse! Its really magical .. I <3 :) I got so hooked I read the entire series widin 2 weeks n felt like crying wen I read the last pg of the last part! I wanted to read more =/ I wish they did an equal justice wid the films too.. 5th part made me puke :(
The mirror quotes r kinda contradicting, don’t the Chinese dreaks know that evils cant see themselves in mirror :s
The apple thingy sounds interesting thou :D but it’s a lil creepy.. nevertheless, no harm in trying it out ;)

Hafsah said...

Chinese freaks* =p

Sidrah said...

Enid Blyton's novels are good but for kids =D you might not like them now, I do love them, though. Will lend you.
Harry Potter =(
The epilogue could have been so much better! I didn't like it.. And movies are just not the same =/
Chinese dreaks freaks believe in Edward Cullen :P

Yes, apple thingy sound intriguing =]

S. said...

uff uff uff. already, done with haRRy misTeR potteRRRR puhlease! =P

Someday I'll read Enid Blyton =) and I'll feel magical too then when i am around green plants =) but oh i already do cos of u!

Nahi please no, that would hav been soooo not good if hp series continued like starr plus soaps =\

lol those superstitions are really weird. dont u believe them =P ager kisi ko tension lene ka showk hai tow usko inn pe yaqeen ker wado! =\ i dunno who farigh mind came up with THESE!

And okay =P u'll get to see ure hubby in good time. so dont hurry with apples and mangoes =P and I bet he will be That Charming Man, but hopefully none like Paddy deCourcy! =]

xxx =D

sidrah said...

I Love Harry Potter! ^^

dont worry, i dont believe in superstitions, was too bored ..soo ..=D

do read enid blyton, her books are great!

Tazeen said...

Hey Sidrah :) I reached your blog through Sana's. You write really well. Keep blogging and be happy! :)