Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Holidays; The Little fat Woman

I grinned at my friends, Sana and Sk, who were sitting across me. I couldn’t stop grinning no matter how I hard I’d try. Last night, I slept with a big grin on my face and woke up with a big grin. And I think in my dreams I saw grinning yellow faces too. But no one can question my grinning. Anybody who’d be my place would be grinning like me.

Sana (excited): Is the train really moving, or I’m just imagining it?
Me (looking outside the window): People and roads are moving so that means the train is really moving.
Sana: Awesome!
Sana has developed a habit of saying ‘awesome’ since she’s been watching ‘Cory in the house, I wanted to say ‘awesome’ too, as I really like Newt, but now as Sana had chosen it I’d to take something different and its ‘It’s so wickedly awesome!’ like Hannah Montana says.
Me: ‘Yeah, it’s so wickedly awesome!’ Sana rolled her eyes. I just grinned. I glanced around and saw my family waving frantically trying to catch my eye. I waved them back and stuck my tongue out at my brothers. My mum looked disapprovingly at me smiling at the same time and my dad, hidden behind a newspaper waved too. I waved until I couldn’t see them anymore (not because the train had gone too fastly but because they’d gone). I leaned back and saw Sana and Sk still waving goodbye to their family. So I leaned outside again and waved at random people. A boy of about 5 starting running with the train to shake my hand. His mother shouted at him and looked madly at me. I drew the curtain (which was really dirty) for few minutes and laughed silently. Sana and Sk were looking at me oddly.

Me: What?
Sana & Sk: Nothing!
Me: No, really, tell me?
Sk: You were practically outside the window.
Sana: We thought you were falling.
Sk & Sana: We were going to pull you back.
Me (laughing nervously): Oh, how embarrassing!
I WAS embarrassed. Why do you always make a fool of yourself, Sidrah? I asked myself. Got no answer. We were quite for few minutes. Looking around our compartment, or should I say a box as it was really small. I drew back the curtain and thankfully saw no over-excited child or some angry mom; instead I saw a vast green landscape dotted with trees and cows (or were they horses, or maybe donkeys.) and occasionally, some homes.

Sk (dreamily): ‘Do you think he’d call me?’

Sana & Me (groaning): Sk, not again! Not NOW!

SK (still dreamily, oblivious of our groans): He said he’d, but I’m not sure. If he wouldn’t then I’d call him myself and give him piece of mind.

Sana & I looked at each other, shaking our heads sadly, like we’d just lost some big case. Since Sk has fallen in love with Dan-boy, as she claimed, she talks about him non-stop. If we’re talking about someone, say Zac Efron, she’d cut in and would go and on about Dan-boy. This gets on my nerves.
Sana (ignoring Sk): So what have you brought?
Me: Lots of stuff and my Mosquito Repellent. Or, oh, should I say ‘Coral’s Mosquito repellent’.
Sana (eyes wide open): You brought the repellent? But how? And why on earth have you named it ‘Coral’s’?’

Me: I asked Camper for the formula. He said he’d only agree to give me on one condition that I name it ‘Coral’s’. I agreed. He sent me a formula AND three mosquito repellents! He said he’d been working on it; James has made him a whole laboratory on his birthday.

Sana (shocked): A lab? A whole REAL LAB?

Me (nodding): Yeah! James has gotten lucky. He got, like, millions of dollars from his company. So, Camper said that he loves to invent stuff and he’s giving me the formula for free as I saved his imaginary pals!’

Sana (whistling): Wow!

We were all quiet; Sana and I thinking about Camper, repellents and that kind of stuff. And Sk staring into a space and humming a song. Then there was a loud bang on the door. We all looked at each other, puzzled and confused. Sk thinking that’s she some brave soldier went to open the door and was greeted by the Little Fat Woman. No, she wasn’t fat or little and nor she was a woman, she must about our age. She was quite pretty but had manners like a caveman. She was chewing a gum loudly. She eyed us and her eyes stopped on me. I felt I was a prisoner in the war a now it was my turn to die. But, no, I wasn’t afraid of her. No one can frighten me that easily.

Little Fat Woman: ‘I wanna have that seat’ Weird noises were emitting from her, I wish I were eating a bubble gum too so that I could match those noises

Me (crossing my arms, staring at her coldly): ‘Sorry, you can’t.’

Little Fat Woman: I wanna have that seat.

This time I ignored her. I started to talk with Sk, not caring about the topic. Sana joined us too. All was well until there was a loud agonized howl. We went rigid with shock.

Sk (fearful): Have we killed her?
Little Fat Woman was lying on the floor, her face pale.
Me (irritatingly): Don’t be silly, we haven’t even touched her.’
Sana (off handily): She’s faking it.

I knew she was right. But inside, really deep inside, guilt was creeping inside me, getting bigger and bigger by time. I didn’t kill her, I told myself. But what if she was suffering from a disease in which you just have to sit on the window seat. Or maybe I killed by just looking at her. I mean, I did give her a murderous glance. I’m not a murderer. I’m just a 17 years old girl who became a little bit selfish. Oh God! Please don’t kill her, I promise I’ll be a good girl.

Oops! This post is getting a bit too long! Rest, later!

2 Ink Drops:

S. said...

Ooh.
Little fat woman..who is she =S ?
I wonder..I wonder and wonder....

Aren't we a bit too stuck up on Zac ? Don't get it ? Read my blog then.

Abhinav Viswambharan said...

"Oh God! Please don’t kill her, I promise I’ll be a good girl.
"


LOLs...

Wished you had completed narrating it in this post itself. It was getting quite funny towards the end.

By the way, I liked the way you have described her - Little 'Fat' Women... :D